8.30.2009

Great Advice

I thought this was awesome advice...advice we should not only listen to but act upon!

"Be loyal to one another, your friends and associates. Look for the good in those about you, and emphasize that good. Never go around gossiping about your associates or speaking unkind words concerning them...What I am suggesting is that each of us turn from the negativism that so permeates our society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom we associate, that we speak of one another's virtues more than we speak of on another's faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears." --Pres. Gordon B. Hinkley

This is something that I constantly think about. The past couple years I have worked really hard on looking at the good of other people, instead of the bad. Even when those people have really hurt me, I still see the good in them over the negative and I've found that it makes the biggest difference in me and my spirit, it sure makes it hard to hold a grudge against someone that annoys me or has really hurt me. It makes the hard stuff easier to process and handle. But I also have noticed that while I see the good in people, I am very pessimistic about life and human nature in general. Its funny though, because when other people around me are having hard times and are pessimistic about their circumstances, I hear myself telling them to look on the positive sides. Sometimes I dont tell them but I think about the good things that the situation hold. So maybe I'm actually "A realist, masquerading as a cynic, who is secretly an optimist."(from the movie HITCH, lol)

So in short....I'm truly trying to continue to find the VIRTUES in people, while being and looking for the optimism in lifes circumstances. something we should all be trying harder to do. If we all really truly take this advice from President Hinckley to heart, then the world will be a much better place. I'm positive we will find that as we try to find virtues and optimism, pretty soon "try to find" will be replaced by "always see". Everyone will be much happier and the Spirit of the Lord much closer to everyone we come in contact with. A worthy goal, yes? So lets do it!!!!!!!!

No comments: