8.19.2009

Something to think about

From my previously talked about book, "In her novel The Face of a Strangeri, Anne Perry, herself a single, faithful Latter-day Saint woman, writes words that had significance to me. She writes of Hester, who is fast approaching age thrity, and the advice given her: "Do i detect a note of self-pity, Hester?...You will have to learn to conquer that....Too many women waste thier lives grieving because they do not have something other people tell them they should want. Nearly all married women will tell you it is a blessed state, and you are to be pitied for not being in it. That is arrant nonsense. Whether you are happy or not depends to some degree upon outward circumstances, but mostly it depends on how you choose to look at things yourself, whether you measure what you have or what you have not."

I love it!

2 comments:

Keith, Heather and Carsen said...

Katie! just wanted to thank you for everything you did for us in the hospital! you are wonderful. I'm sorry we were asleep when your shift ended and you went home. I hope all is going well! hope to see you again soon, just not with me in the hospital this time! Thanks again~Heather

Raquel said...

This is a very interesting topic that I have very strong opinions about. Being latter day saints, I think it is more important to lose yourself in service of others than anything else. The marriage the kids and all of that will happen in due time. Its important to experience life and figure out who you are before you can bring someone else into it and love them fully for who they are.