8.19.2009

Understanding...

So I recently had a conversation with a newlywed person (who shall remain unnamed), and of course the direction of the conversation was surrounding the subject of how to talk to a 'single' person. It also happens that same day that I bought this book directed to single LDS women and how to be happy in such a family and marriage oriented religion. Its basically like I wrote the book..I feel almost 100% everything that Kristen Oaks wrote about. (Sister Oaks married Elder Oaks of the Twelve Apostles after she was 50 years old) Anyway, this person asked me how to talk to her single friends without offending them and making them feel like being single was a bad thing. (okay--remember I'm single here)...then she said that she didn't feel like single people realized how much busier married people are and that basically their lives just don't take as much energy and we just don't understand that lifestyle....so NUMBER ONE--(if you dont want to offend a single person, DO NOT make them feel like their time in life isn't worth as much just because they aren't married, DO NOT tell them that they don't understand what its like to be busy...because the TRUTH is, we are just as busy, your day doesn't take more energy than ours, but really a single persons PRIORITIES in life just differ from that of a married person.. That's all it really boils down to...different priorities. (Luckily, I really wasn't too offended and I told her that by telling her single friends things like that, no wonder she can't figure out how to talk to them).

Okay, so NUMBER TWO....just go buy this book....HECK I'll let you borrow it! As I've read this book, I really have come to a better understanding of myself and worth in the Lord's sight..single or married. I truly feel that EVERY PRIESTHOOD leader and MARRIED WOMAN and SINGLE WOMAN or MAN should read this book. It will give you insight to our feelings and our struggles in this 'Mormon' culture. So seriously...I'm not kidding....come borrow my book..ITS AWESOME!!! Its called "A Single Voice" by Kristen M. Oaks

1 comment:

Jody and Lacey said...

Katie I just love you. I can't say "I know how you feel" but I have a similar situation with having a baby. It really is hard and just know I love you! You are a wonderful girl and the apple of my eye!